You are Outsell’s thought-leader for the STM sector of the data, information, and analytics economy. You are facile at advisory work and are curious, analytical, able to connect dots to solve complex problems, and understand how to serve the needs of, and provide decision-support to, senior executives in the c-suite of our industry. You are trusted, live our values and a can-do collaborator. Note this is a full-time position and is remotely located.
- Research & Analysis – Understand Outsell client and prospective client needs. Set and deliver syndicated research & analysis at regular intervals that focus on industry value chains, customer workflows, operating benchmarks, best practices, competitive positioning, and M&A activity. Routinely engage with the market and conduct vendor briefings. Track and analyze major industry developments and their implications, have a future focus for the industry and conduct market sizing, analysis, and forecasts.
- Market Visibility – Deliver presentations to senior-level clients and at conferences, support press calls on hot topics and be a visible and respected expert in the field. Facilitate on-site meetings with clients for delivery when necessary and travel as needed to ensure ongoing support and delivery of the business.
- Client Advisory & Client Care – Serve clients’ decision-making through analyst access requests to provide data and top of mind insight on critical issues clients face within your segment. Maintain consistent and close contact with clients on the issues they are facing and proactively send information about developments and advice that coincides and serves those interests.
- Business Development – Drive membership and develop relationships through vendor briefings and by building and maintaining ongoing relationships with the market; collaborate with Outsell’s sales force to ensure new and renewal client success, lead generation, and achieve new and renewal membership targets for your practice area within Outsell.
- Collaboration – Be a collaborative team member and active member of the team.
Ideal Background and Experience
5 – 10 years of industry experience in the STM sector working in strategy, competitive intelligence, and/or similar analytic and advisory roles or has experience in financial analysis, M&A due diligence having analyzed companies and their posture. Strong understanding of market and competitive intelligence approaches and methodologies and an ability to solve complex problems with the right analytic approach. Understanding of science, scholarly publishing, engineering and other innovation functions in corporate, academia and government markets.
- MBA or Advanced degree preferred.
- Excellent listening, writing, and presenting skills.
- Intellectually curious and holistic thinker.
- Ability to work independently with minimal guidance and as part of a team.
- Ability to work with a variety of personalities and styles and adapt accordingly.
- Ability to communicate clearly with others, articulate issues and challenges, and offer solutions.
- Ability to motivate others in a positive, constructive manner.
- Ability to accept constructive criticism and apply that criticism to the job.
- Ability to anticipate and plan for challenges that might threaten progress or timeliness of work.
- Ability to plan for appropriate resources at appropriate times to minimize avoidable delays.
- Ability to adapt to changes in workload and adjust priorities quickly as circumstances dictate.
- Ability to take initiative to act when answers to a problem are not readily apparent.
- Ability to grasp understanding of a projects overall purpose.
- Must have the ability to work on a computer for extended periods with or without accommodations and perform repetitive office work for 8hrs/day. Required to sit at a computer and use a keyboard and mouse and sometimes telephone for extended periods.
- Must be able to communicate clearly orally and make live audible and visual presentations in person and via audio/visual equipment. Specific vision requirements include the ability to read and review work at close range on a computer screen and in hard copy.
- The ability to lift and carry (and sometimes do so while twisting or bending) up to 10 pounds routinely (i.e. a laptop computer) 20% of the workday, on average.
- Some travel out of town and for extended periods may be required.
Support Outsell’s Core Values:
- We are client-centered, good listeners, easy to do business with, and focused on high-touch relationships.
- Innovation and creativity. We are can-do, agile, and embrace change.
- We are honest, ethical, and direct in all of our dealings.
- We say what we’ll do, do what we say, and do the right thing.
- Results. We are committed to helping our clients achieve high-quality, actionable results.
- We are a trusted advisor and unbiased thought-leader.
- We collaborate with our clients and each other.
- Fun, freedom and family. We get the job done on a schedule that works for each of us, our clients, and our colleagues.
- We are always learning and improving.
- We are stewards of what we stand for, focused on running a financially healthy business while being active citizens in the world.