As Data Analyst you will build new tools and datasets for analyzing companies operating in the data, information and analytic industries. You will update and implement processes for estimating company revenue and growth rates, tracking acquisitions and divestitures, and harvesting news announcements. You will also propose and implement analytic methods for extracting insight from these and other data assets. You will design spreadsheet and database interfaces to facilitate company-wide capture of key benchmarks and related metrics and integrate them with a team tasked with keeping data assets current. You will analyze this data for ongoing and ad hoc requests to further Outsell’s insight into the industry and serve client needs.
In this role you will report to and work closely with the VP of Analytic Operations to ensure the entire company has access to the highest quality data and analysis possible. You will support a team of lead analysts covering all aspects of the data, information and analytics industry who are committed to delivering top-notch research analysis and thought-leadership to clients. Opportunities for creative thought and problem solving will abound as you apply your understanding of analytics to better understand and solve the strategic challenges of our clients as well as internally at Outsell.
Over time, the position may lead increased responsibility and overall oversight and ownership of critical data assets.
- Design, implement, and oversee the usage of tools for estimating, tracking, and analyzing core company benchmarks including revenue, employees, growth, profitability, and additional data as currently defined in Outsell’s Benchmark research.
- Support the creation of Outsell’s proprietary assessment tool and ensure ongoing creation of underlying data and ensure that all data created is ingested into Outsell’s databases and integrated as appropriate with existing interfaces.
- Experiment with the design of new data tools and interfaces to satisfy latent demand
- Oversee the refinement and operation of Outsell’s Company Analysis Ratings Matrix and ensure all data is captured, stored centrally, and easily accessed for additional analysis.
- Assist lead analysts as requested in their evaluation of competitors, markets, and best practices by pulling data from existing datasets and at times providing first pass analysis.
- Be a collaborative member of the Outsell team and uphold and model Outsell’s values at all times.
Ideal Background and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Computer Science, Mathematics, or an equivalent degree and Masters preferred.
- Excellent data science and analytic skills with an ability to grasp complex tasks and reduce them to simplified solutions.
- Must be creative in thought but practical in nature with an appreciation for the intersection of art and science across data analysis. Must understand business use cases and why data is being analyzed and how it will be applied.
- Ideal candidate will have worked within the data, information and analytics industries.
- Must have quantitative and qualitative market analysis experience, business-modeling skills and ideally have done financial analysis and analyzed industries, companies and markets.
- Able to work independently with minimal guidance and as part of a team.
- Complete assignments on time and with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy and the ability to deliver fact-based arguments that can be substantiated in front of senior executives.
- A background in utilizing primary research to do analysis a plus.
- Some travel required.
- Must have the ability to work on a computer for extended periods with or without accommodations and perform repetitive office work for 8hrs/day. Required to sit at a computer and use a keyboard and mouse and sometimes telephone for extended periods.
- Must be able to communicate clearly orally and make live audible and visual presentations in person and via audio/visual equipment. Specific vision requirements include the ability to read and review work at close range on a computer screen and in hard copy.
- The ability to lift and carry (and sometimes do so while twisting or bending) up to 10 pounds routinely (i.e. a laptop computer) 20% of the workday, on average.
- Some travel out of town and for extended periods may be required.
Support Outsell’s Core Values:
- We are client-centered, good listeners, easy to do business with, and focused on high-touch relationships.
- Innovation and creativity. We are can-do, agile, and embrace change.
- We are honest, ethical, and direct in all of our dealings.
- We say what we’ll do, do what we say, and do the right thing.
- Results. We are committed to helping our clients achieve high-quality, actionable results.
- We are a trusted advisor and unbiased thought-leader.
- We collaborate with our clients and each other.
- Fun, freedom and family. We get the job done on a schedule that works for each of us, our clients, and our colleagues.
- We are always learning and improving.
- We are stewards of what we stand for, focused on running a financially healthy business while being active citizens in the world.