Growth Trends in the Market for Clinical Decision Support Tools
The development of clinical decision support tools will remain a priority area, in light of recommendations made by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA), which will provide financial incentives to organisations deploying healthcare IT effectively. The requirement that healthcare providers be able to demonstrate “meaningful use” – clear evidence of improved outcomes – will create a strong demand for products that work well with other products. Meaningful use will require the deployment of additional analytic solutions to demonstrate improvement and create a market for appropriate integrated online educational resources. Thus, meaningful use could create opportunities for significant growth for STM publishers in at least three areas – clinical decision support, education, and management analytics. This report, the first of a series on the changing landscape for medical publishing, focuses on some of the developments that are affecting the development and market penetration of clinical decision support tools. Subsequent reports will cover the growing markets for analytic and educational services. This report:
- Provides an overview of the global healthcare industry and issues it faces;
- Identifies key players and the reasons for their current success;
- Analyzes clinical decision support market size and growth trends;
- Paints a plausible picture of how the clinical decision support market is likely to evolve over the next few years;
- Details essential actions for STM publishers.