Safari Books Online: A Case Study of Redefining the Book for the Internet Age
Safari Books Online - one of Outsell’s “30 to Watch” in 2009 - is a working example of post-print business models and redefines the book for a web-based age. It has shown that digital content need not cannibalize print revenue and can in fact really add value. Safari Books Online’s mastery of post-print publishing technology and novel business models make it an interesting case study for publishers seeking to maximize digital opportunities. This report takes an in-depth look at the company and contains:
- Company highlights, including history, revenue growth, and key products and business models;
- Tables laying out the company’s “mix-and-match” product and pricing structure for corporate and individual clients;
- Details and analysis of the competitive landscape;
- Analysis of what makes Safari Books Online unique;
- Threats and opportunities facing Safari Books Online;
- Essential actions for publishers seeking to maximize digital opportunities.