Top 15 US News Companies: Print-To-Digital Market Size and Share
Tracking the print-to-digital transition and how it varies from company to company is essential to understanding the future viability and success of news companies. The print-based business model is in decline, only exacerbated by the recession. Publishers’ ability to move quickly - and smartly - to digital platforms is a basic tenet of our times. This report is our second to track the print-to-digital transformation. It adds on to the baselines established in our first report (Top 10 US Public News Companies: Print-to-Digital Market Size and Share, January 31, 2008) by including private companies, more direct comparisons to the information industry overall, and a new section on major drivers of the acceleration of print-to-digital, with an eye toward 2010. The report includes:
- Data on news industry performance compared with information industry performance, including digital content revenue growth and overall content revenue growth;
- Growth and market share of the top 15 US news providers in 2008;
- Advertising, circulation, and online revenue growth and market share of the top 15 US news providers in 2007-2008;
- Analysis of online news usage trends in the US;
- The top 20 US current event and global news sites ranked by unique audience and time per person, per month;
- Essential actions for mastering the next stage of the print-to-digital transition.