Information Industry Market Size & Share Rankings: Preliminary 2011 Results
This report analyzes preliminary estimates of 2011 revenue and 2010-to-2011 growth in the $462.0 billion information industry and its segments. Of 13 segments covered, two segments posted a decline in growth – Yellow Pages & Directories and News Providers & Publishers – a continued function of structural change and hiring challenges made worse by the recession. All other segments posted gains. This year we added Consumer Books and Consumer Magazines as segments of our total market coverage. The report includes:
- Revenue and growth rates for the total information industry, which grew 2.9% in 2011, and its top 100 companies, which in aggregate grew 8.0% in 2011;
- Revenue and growth rates of the top 10 companies in each of 10 industry segments (not HR Information, Consumer Magazines, or Yellow Pages & Directories);
- A comparison of each segment’s growth with GDP and the Information Industry;
- Outsell’s commentary on trends in each segment;
- Essential actions for publishers and information providers.
Outsell continuously updates a database of over 6,500 publishers and information providers worldwide and uses a supply-side methodology to size the information industry. This preliminary market size and share report is prepared to give an early indication of the size of the information industry market for 2011. We publish final market size and share metrics in June, and our comprehensive industry forecast in the autumn.