HotTopics: Publishers Speak Up On Open Access: Big Promise, Small Uptake
Open access is a topic very much on the minds of Scientific, Technical & Medical publishers. This HotTopics focuses on open access’s merits as a sustainable business model and an alternative to subscriptions.
This HotTopics provides you with:
- A sampling of publishers’ attitudes toward and experiences with open access, from organizations such as Elsevier and Oxford University Press
- Examples of recent successes and real-world business challenges with open access
- A chart with descriptions of 18 publishers’ sponsored open access programs
- Conditions enabling sponsored open access to work as a revenue model
- Outsell’s essential actions for the scholarly publishing community
In preparing for this HotTopics, Outsell reviewed secondary literature on open access and conducted interviews with 10 publishers that are very experienced with open access programs or have a unique perspective on them; these comprised traditional publishers with open access programs as well as newer open access publishers.