Big-Data: Big Deal or Just Big Buzz?
“Big-data” has a lot of buzz these days, and if the big-data buzz is based in reality, there will be a lot more data available to create and harvest new information products. The promise of big-data is that it provides additional value, increases productivity, and even exposes and creates new information and decision support in real time. These are big claims. Publishers and information providers must put and keep big-data on their radar, and start considering whether, when, and how big-data will change their business. This report focuses on big-data, its implications, and its importance to our industry.
This report includes:
- A definition and examples of big-data;
- A discussion of the value of big-data for publishers and information providers;
- An overview of big-data technologies and technology providers;
- Several challenges that managing big-data presents to the information industry;
- Essential actions for utilizing big data and developing products and services for the industry.