Marketers’ Digital Spending to Overtake Print for First Time Ever, According to Outsell, Inc.
- Outsell Forecasts Advertising/Marketing Spending to Grow, But Only 1.2 Percent
Burlingame, CA and London, UK—March 8, 2010—For the first time, spending on digital/online advertising and marketing will overtake print in 2010, according to new projections from Outsell, Inc. In an industry crossover event, companies will spend $119.6 billion on online and digital strategies, from search engine keywords to webinars, while committing $111.5 billion to print methods such as newspaper and magazine ads. Overall, U.S. spending on advertising and marketing will increase in 2010, but by just 1.2 percent to $368 billion.
Outsell’s “Marketing and Ad Spending Study 2010: Total US and B2B Advertising,” forecasts spending, share, and growth for five media types—online, events, print, TV/radio, and PR/other—and methods used within each, from social networking to mobile/wireless marketing.
“Advertisers are directing dollars toward the channels which generate the most qualified leads and most effective branding. As they emerge from the recession, they need more accountability, and they’re spreading their spending over a widening set of options,” said Chuck Richard, Vice President and Lead Analyst, Outsell.
• Print magazine advertising will be up 1.9 percent to $9.4 billion despite the popularity of online channels.
• Methods generating the highest B2B ROI are topped by advertisers’ own websites, followed by conferences, exhibitions and trade shows; direct mail; search engine keywords; and e-marketing/e-newsletters.
• B2B advertisers see cross-media marketing as most effective; 78% combine three or more major marketing methods.
• 51 percent of B2B marketers rate Facebook as extremely or somewhat effective, followed by LinkedIn (45 percent), Twitter (35 percent) and MySpace (25 percent).
Outsell surveyed more than 1,000 US advertisers in December 2009.
For the report, with publisher recommendations: http://www.outsellinc.com/store/products/912?refid=pr912.
Journalists: Contact Dawn Ringel, email@example.com.
ABOUT OUTSELL, INC.:
Outsell is the only research and advisory firm focused on advancing the publishing and information industries. Our international team provides independent, fact-based analysis and actionable advice about competitors, markets, operational benchmarks, and best practices, so our clients thrive and grow in today's fast-changing digital and global environment. Outsell tracks and analyzes over 7,000 information industry companies, as well as the needs, habits, and spending patterns of advertisers, enterprise information buyers, and end users. Outsell’s headquarters are in Burlingame, CA, with offices in London and in Cambridge, MA. See www.outsellinc.com.
Back to Press Releases