LinkedIn’s Lessons for the Decade
LinkedIn is a fast-growing $240 million B2B information company that is an unusual mixture of professional-to-professional social networking, databases, and workflow solutions. It is fueled by a mixed business model combining both user-paid and ad-funded revenue and is the largest B2B social media company. The firm exhibits a set of best practices in harnessing what’s become uniquely possible in the 21st century information industry environment. It has become one of the new generation blue-chip companies alongside powerful brands such as Salesforce.com, Google, and Facebook. This analysis examines what LinkedIn is doing that can benefit other traditional and pure-play digital information companies, and LinkedIn’s future as a potential partner and disruptive force to the industry establishment. The report includes:
- Company highlights since LinkedIn’s 2002 founding;
- Performance benchmarks and business model;
- LinkedIn’s five growth mantras;
- Challenges and advantages for LinkedIn;
- Essential actions for B2B publishers based on LinkedIn’s success.