Evolution of the STM Publishing Platform: An Industry Overview and Roadmap
The publishing platform, which over the last couple of years has experienced accelerating innovation, is a key strategic issue for the STM publisher. The development of a market for semantic enrichment and web applications, rapid growth in the penetration of mobile devices and their usage, the emergence of open APIs, and advanced data analytics techniques add up to renewed innovation and opportunities. The market environment and new business models are driving uptake of the new technology. The growing importance of the platform as a competitive advantage amid these changes means it’s time to re-evaluate and plan for the future. This report includes:
- An overview of forces driving the development of the STM platform;
- Key themes, technologies, and features comprising the roadmaps for the industry;
- An overview of key platform vendors: Atypon, HighWire, MetaPress, Publishing Technology, Semantico, and Silverchair, plus other platforms, Open Journal System, Annotum, and Allen Press Pinnacle;
- Discussion of supporting technologies and services, the build vs. buy decision, and selecting a platform vendor;
- Essential actions for publishers reviewing their platform strategy.