Information Management Best Practices: ToolKit – The Why And How Of Needs Assessment And Focus Groups
A fact-based understanding of user needs is critical in order to successfully create and roll out any information product or service. This Briefing provides a step-by-step guide for planning and implementing a needs assessment study, and includes:
- Outsell’s framework for managing information product life cycles, called Information Product Development Life Cycle (IPDL) SM ;
- Steps for assembling a needs assessment team, including recruiting a senior executive sponsor;
- Seven steps of the needs assessment process;
- Detailed descriptions of data collection methods, including quantitative surveys, focus groups, personal interviews, and an environment review;
- Imperatives for effectively serving users and enhancing strategic initiatives.