A Tale of Two Wires: The Associated Press and Reuters Evolve in the Digital Age
The internet has forced The Associated Press and Reuters – two newswire companies founded in the telegraph age – to re-examine their basic business models and to re-invent parts of their companies. This report looks at how they continue to serve their long-standing media clients while moving to modernize their legacy licensing models and transform their companies’ skill sets and cultures. It explains why AP with its syndication – rather than destination – strategy seems best positioned to grow its business. The report analyzes:
- Financials of The Associated Press and Reuters, including estimated revenue, trading profit, and revenue per employee;
- Competitors, web performance, and customer reach;
- Key new initiatives by both companies;
- Change drivers and their impact for wire services;
- Essential actions for wire services and news publishers in general.