Director, Data Solutions - This Position has been Filled.
Burlingame, CA; London, UK; Boston, MA
Outsell is looking for an experienced, technically savvy, and dynamic Director of Data Solutions to manage all aspects of Outsell’s data gathering, data creation, and selected areas of data analysis to support primarily Outsell’s syndicated information services and memberships. The Director, Data Solutions will be lead by Outsell’s Vice President of Product Marketing ensuring Outsell’s information and data architecture supports Outsell’s data operations as well as data product creation and development.
The Director, Data Solutions will lead and be responsible for all of Outsell’s data methodologies and quality and timeliness of all Outsell data assets and market metrics and the management of Outsell’s Information Industry Database (OIID) consisting of over 8,000 company profiles, Outsell’s Headline service, Outsell’s market forecast, market and company valuation, benchmark and other key metrics as well as the execution of syndicated and custom surveys.
Outsell is looking for a thought leader and seasoned professional who has been employed in a database, data and data-intensive market research firm with a minimum of 8-10 years experience and where the data has been created from any combination of secondary, quantitative primary, and analyst interview/estimated/modeled methodologies. The ideal candidate will have had operating responsibility for all facets of data asset creation and all creation methodologies; secondary, primary and the various types of each and have the statistical and quantitative expertise to oversee the creation of the firm’s market metrics. This individual will have worked with and led a team of professionals who are equipped to make each part of the data operation successful and who is comfortable with new technologies and outsourcing to achieve breakthrough results in data acquisition, creation, modeling and delivery.
- Develop and manage Outsell’s Information Industry Database and be responsible for data collection, creation, and analysis within this company database including:
- The collection and gathering of company demographics, segmentation, financials, top management personnel data.
- The creation of company revenue estimates, market size and share forecasts, and data/metrics for rankings, benchmarking, and valuations data.
- The analysis and reporting of key segment landscapes including market size, share, and forecasting reports, sub-segment reports, and country specific segment reports.
- Oversee and manage the team responsible for Outsell’s Headline service including data collection, curation & tagging of key industry headlines and trend analysis and distribution of industry headlines delivered daily to clients.
- Lead and oversee company surveying in support of syndicated services and custom consulting projects including survey panel management, data collection for customer satisfaction surveys, creation and analysis of client specific benchmarking reports and statistical modeling.
- Lead a team of market analysts focused on in-depth company, segment, sub-segment, and country-level research as well as industry rankings, enhanced benchmarking, and valuation research working closely to support Outsell's lead analysts and custom consultants.
- Engage with Outsell analysts, network, and read Outsell analyses and other industry sources to remain aware of, be able to propose, and execute innovative mechanisms to create, maintain, mine and report data and database driven ‘product’ assets.
- Work with the Product Marketing team to provide proactive thought-leadership to develop and implement e-creation, e-product and e-commerce strategies that keep the business competitive and ahead of the curve and provide a data-driven product strategy where these same data assets can be packaged, priced and sold via appropriate channels.
- Develop and implement data making policies and procedures to improve data timeliness, freshness and availability to internal and external clients.
- Develop, implement and/or change data creation and access processes in order to improve productivity.
- Manage relationships with vendors to ensure quality support and develop and maintain business continuity plans for Outsell’s data assets including, including testing to ensure that they are adequate.
Qualifications and Experience
- At least 8 to 10 years with proven leadership leading a team in collecting, creating, containering and reporting data and database driven assets that are consumed by internal and external clients.
- Hands on and management experience creating market metrics about all facets of an industry – including but not limited to company data, market size, share and rank, financial metrics, benchmarking metrics, end user data created and generated through both primary and secondary techniques.
- Experience in developing and managing a complex database environment and team to ensure quality, integrity, and availability of key product and corporate data.
- Experience with XML-based data management and publishing processes.
- Ability to analyze business requirements and develop processes and systems that meet those requirements.
- Must be a proven leader — able to own a process, express ideas clearly and logically, meet deadlines, and work effectively under pressure. Creativity, curiosity, self-motivation risk-taking, perseverance are also essential. Must be able to operate in a fast-changing landscape, and be entrepreneurial.
- Candidate must be team-oriented, flexible, and able to work both independently and collaboratively in a firm whose team is largely in a home-based office environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills required, as well as demonstrated critical thinking and organizational skills.
- Be a collaborative team member, excellent leader and active member of the team.
It is important that the successful candidate reflect Outsell's core values:
At Outsell, we strive to delight our clients and provide a "wow” experience whenever possible. In all things we do, we attempt to achieve win-win-win outcomes through:
- Service. We are client-centered, good listeners, easy to do business with, and focused on high-touch relationships.
- Innovation and creativity. We are can-do, agile, and embrace change.
- Integrity. We are honest, ethical, and direct in all of our dealings.
- Accountability. We say what we’ll do, do what we say, and do the right thing.
- Results. We are committed to helping our clients achieve high-quality, actionable results.
- Influence. We are a trusted advisor and unbiased thought-leader.
- Teamwork. We collaborate with our clients and each other.
- Fun, freedom and family. We get the job done on a schedule that works for each of us, our clients, and our colleagues.
- Kaizen. We are always learning and improving.
- Commitment. We are stewards of what we stand for, focused on running a financially healthy business while being active citizens in the world.
About the Company
Outsell is the world's only research and advisory firm focused solely on the information industry. We use a time-tested, quality-proven, top secret blend of data, brains, community, and pizazz to produce extraordinary value for our clients. Elite information industry executives from all over the world look to Outsell for trusted advice, bold insights, and confidential access to exclusive intelligence and decision support. Outsell has your back. You'll stay more focused, save time, grow revenue in a fast-changing global digital environment, and sleep better at night. Guaranteed.
Please e-mail your resume to email@example.com
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, ancestry, or national origin.